Ashes of War is a term used for the weapon skills in Elden Ring. There are a plethora of these that you can acquire, providing amazing capabilities for your armaments and fine-tuning them to your needs. Here’s our guide to help you find all Ashes of War weapon skill locations in Elden Ring. Likewise, please be reminded that this guide will contain full maps of the game’s regions, which will contain spoilers.
How to use Ashes of War weapon skills in Elden Ring
To start using Ashes of War weapon skills in Elden Ring, you’ll need to reach the Gatefront Site of Grace. There, in a cellar in one of the ruins, you’ll find a Whetstone Knife and Ash of War: Storm Stomp. From this point onwards, you can assign Ashes of War to a matching weapon when you rest at a Site of Grace or when you talk to Blacksmith Hewn in Roundtable Hold.
We’ve discussed some of the basics already, but you should also know that Ashes of War in Elden Ring are only limited to a single functional action even if you have different keybinds. For instance:
- If using both hands to hold a weapon, then, naturally, only that weapon’s skill can be activated.
- If using a one-handed weapon and a shield, the keybind function will only trigger the shield’s ability if it has one, completely disabling what you have on your weapon. As such, you’ll want to make sure that your shield has “No Skill” selected, if only to allow you to use a weapon’s skill. This, however, prevents you from using the Parry or Shield Bash actions.
Each Ash of War that you find in Elden Ring is unique, but it can only be used on one matching weapon at any given time. However, you can find Lost Ashes of War to duplicate a skill, allowing it to be applied to another weapon.
Where to find Ashes of War in Elden Ring?
Now, with that said and done, how exactly do you obtain Ashes of War in Elden Ring? Well, there are several methods:
- Loot – Either dropped by bosses, found in chests, or out in the wild.
- Vendors – Several are sold by vendors.
- Remembrances – A couple of major bosses have Ashes of War that can be acquired.
- Scarabs – These have a white glow, symbolizing that you can get an Ash of War if you kill them. Make it quick since they’ll disappear if you’re not constantly damaging them, and you need to rest at a Site of Grace to get them to respawn.
- Invisible Scarab – If you see glowing tracks, there’s an invisible beetle moving around nearby. Wait until it’s about to cross your path and swing your weapon to make it appear.
In any case, the next sections of our guide will focus on the Ash of War locations in Elden Ring. We’ve divided these based on areas of each region. We’ll continue updating this guide as we discover more.
Ash of War locations: Limgrave - Starting area, Mistwood, and Stormveil Castle
- Storm Stomp – Found in the Gatefront Ruins cellar mentioned earlier.
- Determination – Dropped by a Scarab near the bridge.
- Repeating Thrust – Dropped by a mounted enemy in front of the bridge.
- Unsheathe – Dropped by a Scarab at the lake’s shoreline near a Giant Crab.
- Gravitas – You’ll find a mob that uses this skill near the Site of Grace. Kill it to obtain this Ash of War.
- Stamp (Sweep) – Go to the beach and look for glowing tracks. Hit the Invisible Scarab as it passes in front of you.
- Golden Vow – At the top of this hill, you’ll find a Knight that casts this. Kill it to obtain the ability.
- Warmaster’s Shack – Knight Bernahl sells Stamp (Upward Cut), Kick, Endure, War Cry, Spinning Slash, Impaling Thrust, Quickstep, Storm Blade, Parry, and No Skill.
- Wild Strikes – You’ll find a Scarab as you’re traveling from Stormhill Shack to the gates of Stormveil Castle.
- Storm Wall – From Stormhill Shack, continue north until you reach a ruined bridge. Past the cliffside, you’ll see a Scarab (shown in the image below).
- Sorcerer Rogier – Advance further into Stormveil Castle until you reach the ramparts with Warhawks. From there, you’ll notice an open cathedral window. Head inside to find Sorcerer Rogier who sells the Glintstone Pebble, Carian Greatsword, and Spinning Weapon. Rogier will then reappear in Roundtable Hold.
- Stormcaller – Carried by a Scarab near Godrick the Grafted’s boss arena in Stormveil Castle. It’s at the pathway between the the Secluded Cell Site of Grace and the Living Jars.
- Sacred Blade – From the Third Church of Marika, go north until you see the Spiritspring air current. The Scarab is nearby (shown in the image below).
- Ground Slam – A Scarab is along the hill near the Minor Erdtree.
- Bloody Slash – Battle the Knight at the top Fort Haight.
Ash of War locations: Limgrave - Weeping Peninsula
- Mighty Shot – You’ll see a Scarab as you’re approaching the Castle Morne Rampart Site of Grace.
- Barricade Shield – A Night’s Cavalry miniboss can also be found here. You can use the ruins to confuse its script, allowing you to snipe and cheese it from afar.
Ash of War locations: Liurnia of the Lakes - Southern section and Academy of Raya Lucaria
- Ice Spear – Defeat the Night’s Cavalry patrolling the road.
- Vow of the Indomitable – There’s a Scarab in the swampy area. The marker might look like it’s above ground, but this is actually a spacious location underneath a plateau.
- Charge Forth – From the Academy Gate Town Site of Grace, go west until you see the bridge. The Scarab is hanging from under the bridge, so shoot it to claim your prize.
- Thops’ Barrier – There’s a small island that’s jutting out of the water directly west of the Rose Church. Kill the Scarab here.
- Sword Dance – Go to the cliffside to the west of the Minor Erdtree until you see a Guide Statue. You’ll notice a couple of Ghostly Jellyfish and, through the sloping pathway, you’ll stumble upon a Scarab.
- Raptor of the Mists – When you finally gain access to the Academy of Raya Lucaria, look to your right. You should see another rune entrance and a ruined bridge. Instead of interacting with the rune, go to the end of the bridge to spot a red summon sign. Click it to help Yura against a Ravenmount Assassin. Successfully defeating the target nets you this Ash of War.
- Spectral Lance – From the Church of the Cuckoo Site of Grace in the Academy of Raya Lucaria, cross the bridge to where the Marionette Soldiers are. Then, look at the cliffside. You should see the Scarab in the distance. There are ledges at the opposite end that allow you to drop down to chase it.
Ash of War locations: Liurnia of the Lakes - Northern section
- Carian Grandeur – Proceed further into Caria Manor until you reach the part with several Glintstone Sorcers and a Troll Knight. Before you reach the end, look to your left to find an opening. The ledges lead to several Living Jars and, at the very bottom (almost at the starting point of this dungeon), you’ll find the Ash of War.
- Loretta’s Slash – Dropped by Royal Knight Loretta, the boss of this dungeon.
- Chilling Mist – Beating Loretta gives you access to the Three Sisters region. You’ll spot a Scarab slightly south of Renna’s Rise.
- Hoarfrost Stomp – From Caria Manor Main Entrance, go east until you see a pond. You’ll notice the tracks of an Invisible Scarab.
- Barbaric Roar – Follow the ravine until you see a Golden Seed and a tall structure that leads to the Ruin-Strewn Precipice. Before going up there, check the end of this ravine to spot a Scarab at the rock wall.
- Giant Hunt – At the Converted Fringe Tower, eliminate the Troll Knight that’s sitting outside.
Ash of War locations: Altus Plateau, Mount Gelmir, and Volcano Manor
- Sacred Order – Kill the Scarab along the road before the Unsightly Catacombs and Perfumer’s Ruins.
- Blood Blade – From Erdtree Grazing Hill, follow the swampy road going north to see this Scarab.
- Lightning Ram – In the grasslands between Sainted Hero’s Grave and Stormcaller Church, you’ll find a Scarab next to several angry rams.
- Barrage – Make your way west of Wyndham Ruins until you’re at Seethwater River. Follow it north to find this Scarab.
- Through and Through – Once you arrive at the open area before Volcano Manor, you’ll see a Golden Seed. An Invisible Scarab is also skirting around this spot.
- Recusant Bernahl – This Bernahl sells skills that are similar to the wares of the fella in Limgrave’s Warmaster’s Shack. The difference is that he also has Assassin’s Gambit and Eruption.
- Royal Knight’s Resolve – Continue through the Volcano Manor Legacy Dungeon until you reach a chapel filled with Lizards. At the balcony, there’s an Imp Statue Dungeon that you can enter. This is basically a jumping puzzle, and all the way down below is an Ash of War. It leads back to the previously unreachable parapet near the drawbridge.
- Lightning Slash – Follow the northern highway heading to Leyndell Royal Capital. You’ll see the Scarab in the middle of a camp with several soldiers.
Ash of War location: Leyndell Royal Capital
- Prayerful Strike – Go to the riverbed at the western section of the capital. Strike the Invisible Scarab as it passes in front of you.
- Thunderbolt – Make your way to the Cemetery (the one above ground, not the Leyndell Catacombs underneath). When you see the well that leads to the Sewer Gaol/Subterranean Shunning-Grounds entrance, you’ll find the Scarab nearby.
Ash of War locations: Caelid
- Lion’s Claw – Defeat the Vanguard Lion in Fort Gael.
- Lifesteal Fist – Kill the Scarab passing through Caelid Highway North.
- Poison Mist – Kill the Scarab on a small landmass at the southern part of Aeonia Swamp.
- Poison Moth Flight – Defeat the Night’s Sentinel patrolling the highway.
- Sacred Ring of Light – Take out the Scarab in this area.
- Double Slash – In Sellia Town of Sorcery, look for a Scarab hanging by a tree. It might run away quickly if you’re trying to get to it using the branches, but you can shoot it from afar.
- Flaming Strike – The Scarab is at the graveyard behind Redmane Castle.
- Radahn Soldier Ashes – You’ll find this in a niche in War-Dead Catacombs. Go all the way to the northeast corner of the vast desert where you fought Starscourge Radahn to find the entrance to this dungeon.
Ash of War locations: Secret areas and other locations
- Black Flame Tornado – Found in Crumbling Farum Azula after you defeat the Godskin Duo.
- Enchanted Shot – Found in Nokron Eternal City. This is near a stele overlooking the structure where you’ll find the Water Druid.
- Golden Land – Found in Deeproot Depths (which uses the same map layer as Leyndell). There’s a Scarab directly in front of you as you spawn in (after being teleported via the coffin). Watch out because there’s an Erdtree Avatar nearby.
Ash of War locations: Boss Remembrances
- Waves of Darkness – Can be obtained using the Remembrance dropped by Astel the Naturalborn.
- Hourah Loux’s Earthshaker – Can be obtained using the Remembrance dropped by Godfrey/Hourah Loux.
Written by Jason Rodriguez on behalf of GLHF.