Jump directly to the content

Blood-soaked girl, 4, reveals her desperate pleas to save mom who was ‘strangled to death with a lamp cord by her lover’

THE desperate pleas of a four-year-old girl as she tried to save her mother from being strangled to death by her alleged lover have been revealed.

Thadius McGrath, 35, allegedly killed 38-year-old Samantha Rementer on June 8 using a lamp cord in front of her two children before attempting to kill himself.

Thadius McGrath was charged on June 28 in Samantha Rementer's deathCredit: Samantha Rementer/Facebook
Rementer's two daughters were home at the time of the killingCredit: Samantha Rementer/Facebook
The crime occurred inside Rementer's home in Bucks County, Pennsylvania on June 8Credit: fox29

Rementer's eldest daughter reportedly answered the door to cops covered in blood and told them that her mom was dead.

"[McGrath] killed mommy because she was annoying him and then [McGrath] shot himself accidentally," the girl reportedly told police, per the criminal complaint.

McGrath was charged on June 28 in Rementer's death, which occurred inside her home in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.

Police arrived at Rementer's residence after McGrath's mother called them fearing her son was suicidal, according to a criminal complaint filed with the Bucks County District Attorney's office.

After the four-year-old girl answered the door, another young child was found in a highchair and was safely removed from the home.

Both children were unharmed. McGrath is reportedly not the father of those children.

Police swept the house and first found Rementer in a bedroom, suffering from "blunt force trauma to her face" and with an electrical cord wrapped around her neck, according to the complaint.

A step ladder was also found in the bedroom.

McGrath was then found on the floor of another bedroom, covered in blood and missing teeth, the complaint says.

He allegedly attempted to die by suicide by shooting himself in the head, according to the complaint.

A black Smith & Wesson .9mm semi-automatic pistol was found near McGrath, along with a fired casing.

Emergency responders tended to both victims, but Rementer was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Bucks County District Attorney’s office confirmed to The Sun that McGrath remains hospitalized at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center and is now in the custody of the Bucks County Department of Corrections.


After the killing, McGrath allegedly called his father and confessed, the complaint states.

McGrath allegedly told his father that he strangled Rementer to death.

The phone call took place on the afternoon of June 8.

Three days later, the Bucks County Coroner's office determined that Rementer's cause of death was ligature strangulation, and the manner of death was a homicide.

Police then interviewed McGrath on June 27, where he again confessed to the murder.

McGrath admitted to police that he killed Rementer "after she made him mad," the complaint states.

He claims to first have hit Rementer with the step ladder and the lamp before strangling her.

McGrath also told police that he killed the woman in front of the two children, saying that they tried to stop him.

"Please stop please stop you are killing my mom," McGrath told cops the one girl said.

He admitted that he knew Rementer was dead because she was "purple," according to the complaint.


The two young girls are now in the custody of their grandfather, Bill Rementer.

The Courier-Times reports that police told Bill that the older grandchild bit McGrath while he was carrying out his attack.

"I am very very proud of both my granddaughters," Bill told the outlet.

A GoFundMe has been created by Bill to support the two young girls.

"The police call Lilly a 'Rock Star' for the way she acquitted herself that day and afterward at an interview," Bill wrote on the GoFundMe page.

The girls' father died of a heart attack in February 2021, Bill shared.

"I pledge every penny raised here will go to my two granddaughters who now live with me," Bill added.

More than $17,000 has been raised so far.


McGrath is charged with first- and third-degree murder and endangering the welfare of children.

He is also facing one count of child pornography possession in Massachusetts after being arrested by the Massachusetts State Police Cyber Crime Unit and Brewster Police Department on May 11, 2021.

He was scheduled to appear in court on June 13.

The full list of charges against McGrath in Rementer's death includes Murder of the First Degree, Murder of the Third Degree, Endangering the Welfare of a Child, Recklessly Endangering Another Person, and Possession of an Instrument of Crime, according to the Bucks County District Attorney's office.

“This man murdered Ms. Rementer in front of her children, then unsuccessfully tried to take his own life”, said Bucks County District Attorney Matt Weintraub. 

“I cannot think of two more cowardly acts.  He will now be made to pay an exacting price for his crimes.”

McGrath was arraigned on June 28 and denied bail.

The Bucks County District Attorney’s office told The Sun McGrath will be moved to the prison once he is cleared for incarceration by medical professionals at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center.