Jump directly to the content

Delphi Snapchat murder victim Liberty German’s haunting final words to her mom are revealed

A MOTHER of one of the girls killed in the Delphi "Snapchat murders" has recounted the last conversation she shared with her daughter before she was slain near a train track in the still-unsolved case.

Carrie German told The US Sun there's not a day that goes by that she doesn't think of her daughter, Libby, who was murdered age 14 alongside her best-friend, Abby Williams, 13, in February 2017.

Libby German (left) and Abby Williams (right) were both murdered in Delphi, Indiana in February 2017Credit: YouTube
Carrie German recounted for The US Sun the horrific moment she learned her daughter had been found deadCredit: WRTV

The two girls disappeared on Feb. 13 after visiting the Delphi Historic Trails in Indiana during a day off from school.

They were found dead the following day in a wooded area close to the Manon High Bridge Trail, where just hours earlier Libby had uploaded her final Snapchat post showing Abby walking along the tracks.

Precisely how the two girls were killed has never been released, and the person responsible for their murders has never been caught.

As Libby and Abby's familys' five-year wait for answers continues with no immediate end in sight, Carrie said she is regularly brought back to the final words she exchanged with her daughter, unaware of the tragedy about to befall her.

"Earlier that day, the day they went missing, I had spoken with Libby," Carrie, 44, told The US Sun during an emotional interview.

"I usually talked to her every morning, whether it be a Snapchat message or sometimes a video call or text, and that morning we were Snapchatting back and forth.

"She was laying in bed and I asked why was she doing that and she told me, 'Oh mommy, we got the day off school' and they were just lounging around not really doing a lot at that time, while I was on my way to work.

"I had this adult coloring book I'd fill in during my downtime, and I was sending her pictures and she was telling me what colors to put where.

"We were just chit-chatting back and forth like we always did.

"Everything was just nice and seemed normal," added Carrie.

"Little did I know it soon wouldn't be."


Over the next few hours, all of Libby's responses to her mother ceased, which was uncharacteristic for the social-media-loving teen because she was rarely without her phone in hand, according to Carrie.

But Carrie said she had little cause for concern until she received a series of calls from her eldest daughter Kelsi, who she initially put through to voicemail.

She sent a text to Kelsi telling her she was still at work but would be leaving soon, to which her daughter responded: "Call me now, it's important."

With a pit forming in her stomach, Carrie called Kelsi back immediately, instantly sensing that something was wrong.

It had been a few months since she had seen either Kelsi or Libby in person, as the two siblings lived with their father and grandparents in Delphi, some 250 miles away from her home in Harrodsburg, Kentucky.

"I called Kelsi and she asked if I had seen Libby," Carrie remembered.

"I almost kind of chuckled, because I was like, 'What do you mean? No, I'm 250 miles away of course I haven't seen her. What are you talking about?'

"And then I found out that she was missing," Carrie continued.

"She would never do something like that, just run off or disappear.

"I don't remember much of what happened next but I just fell to my knees - it was awful."


In a state of unquantifiable panic, Carrie called her husband wailing and crying down the phone that Libby was missing, though he struggled to understand what she was saying through her cries.

Carrie didn't have her own car at the time so she was unable to immediately drive to Delphi and help with the search to find Libby and Abby.

Instead, she waited eagerly by the phone for any sort of update while her husband tried to find her a car to borrow from someone.

"It was just literally the worst night of my life," Carrie said.

"Because I didn't have a car, I just couldn't get there, so I spent the night on the phone with family and other people that were out looking for her.

"It was just a nightmare," Carrie said, "an absolute f**king nightmare."

The search for Libby and Abby continued into the following morning, by which time Carrie had found a place to borrow a car from and set off on her journey towards Delphi.

Libby and Abby's causes of death have never been revealedCredit: Twitter
The culprit behind the killings has never been caught and no suspects have been publicly named
The last photo the girls took was of Abby walking along the Manon Bridge TrailCredit: Snapchat

She had been stopped at a gas station when her brother called her, warning that he'd seen some "disturbing news" on Facebook.

He urged her to call Libby's grandmother immediately but she initially refused, believing somehow that delaying the call, and the inevitable, may somehow impact the fate of the situation for the better.

"I ended up calling Kelsi but she wouldn't answer the phone," Carrie said.

"I probably called 10 times and I wasn't getting any answer, but then suddenly my phone rang and it was Libby and Kelsi's dad on the phone.

"And he told me they'd been found, and for a split second I felt relieved, but then it hit me that he wasn't saying anything, and I asked if they were okay.

"And he had to tell me that they weren't at that point, I was hysterical.

"All I remember is screaming and crying at the gas station, completely out of control."


For four excruciating hours, Carrie drove down to Delphi to be with Kelsi and other family members.

She spent the next four days sleeping in Libby's room, smelling her old clothes and looking through her things.

Carrie described those days as a "blur" or a nightmare she just hoped she was going to wake up from but the reality of the tragic situation would take months to sink in.

"Even when I saw her [body] I didn’t believe it was real," she admitted.

"I kept waiting for her to sit up and say it was a joke like, ‘got you mom’.

"There’s plenty of days I think, oh let me call her and talk to her, even still.

"It was hard seeing her friends you know get their license, go to prom and graduate high school and it's been tough.

"I still think about her and miss her every day."


Five years on from the deaths of Abby and Libby and both of the girls' families have had little in the way of clarity or closure about their deaths, still both unsure of how they were killed and who is responsible for their deaths.

Indiana State Police have remained incredibly guarded about the evidence they have in the case, despite few updates or little seeming progress in the years since.

Waves of new information have been released and leaked to the public in recent months, thanks mostly impart to documents shared by the Murder Sheets podcast.

The first major update in the case came at the end of last year when investigators announced they were looking into a social media user called Anthony_Shots in connection with Libby and Abby's deaths.

Five years on from the deaths of Abby and Libby and both of the girls' families have had little in the way of clarity or closure about their deathsCredit: YouTube
Kegan Kline was the culprit behind a catfish social media profile linked to the caseCredit: Miami County Detention Center

The account, it would later emerge was being run by accused pedophile Kegan Kline, of Miami County, Indiana, who allegedly used images of a male model to solicit nude images and videos from underage girls.

In a transcript of an interview released by Murder Sheets, Kline admitted to interacting with Libby on the account and said he had plans to meet her in Delphi on the day she was killed but claimed not to have gone and denied any wrongdoing.

"I literally have no clue how that girl died,” Kline told investigators.

“I don't know anything, anything to do with it. Yeah, that is a weird a** coincidence that I happened to talk to her, like, I get that."

Kegan Kline has never been named as a suspect in the case.

He is currently being held in custody in relation to child exploitation and child pornography after allegedly admitting to running the Anthony_Shots account.


A second potential person of interest in the case emerged months later following a second leak from the Murder Sheets podcast in May.

Ronald Logan, who lived a short distance from where the girls were found, had his property searched by investigators in the aftermath of the girls' deaths.

For the first time, the leaked document, a search warrant application, also revealed new details about Abby and Libby's deaths and the way in which their bodies were found.

In the warrant application - parts of which are redacted - the agent reveals the killer would have been covered in the victims’ blood due to the “large amount of blood was lost by the victims at the crime scene”.

“Because of the nature of the victim’s wounds, it is nearly certain the perpetrator of the crime would have gotten blood on his person/clothing,” the report reads.

The girls were killed by an unspecified "weapon", the report states, and their bodies had been posed and moved from the location where they'd been killed.

Additionally, investigators stated the killer had taken "souvenirs" or trophies from the victims, though the items in question are redacted in the report.

Very little is known about the other evidence police have in the case, save for a video captured by Libby on her phone showing a man walking towards the girls on the track, warning them to go "down the hill."

In the warrant application, investigators wrote that Logan's voice was "not inconsistent with that of the person in the video."

The warrant also declares that Logan's physical build is consistent with the suspect.

Logan was never charged in the case and it's unclear whether he was ever officially considered a suspect with police declining to comment on the matter. He died in 2020 from Covid-19 aged 82.


For Carrie, coming to terms with the fact she'd never see her daughter again was incredibly difficult, but harder still is knowing that the person responsible for ending her daughter's life so young may still be out there roaming free.

Angry and frustrated over the seeming lack of progress in the investigation into Libby and Abby's deaths, Carrie believes police are no closer to solving the case than they were five years ago.

A search warrant on Ron Logan's property was ordered by investigatorsCredit: Carroll County Sheriff’s Office
Logan died in January 2020 and was never named a as a suspect in the caseCredit: ABC 7

While insisting she never had much faith in Indiana State Police finding the culprit, Carrie says she now has "absolutely none."

"I don’t really have an answer as for why, but it’s a lot of spinning wheels, and [the police] just haven’t figured anything out yet

"I just feel like there hasn’t been anything for so long, so what could they possibly be doing?

"It's awful to get your hopes up every time they do say something, like 'Oh yeah, we're getting closer, we just need that one puzzle piece.'

"But they've been saying literally saying the same thing for five years.

"So what's changed? Nothing has changed. That's why I'm not very confident."

When approached by The US Sun, a spokesperson for the Indiana State Police declined to comment on Carrie's remarks insisting the department "is not giving interviews at the time."