THE wife of a tourist found dead at a Bahamas resort woke up "unable to move and screamed for help" as her husband lay dying, their son has claimed.
Cops launched a probe after three tourists died at the Sandals Emerald Bay resort hotel over the weekend – as a fourth was airlifted to hospital in a critical condition.
The three victims, two men and one woman, were found in two separate villas.
One victim has been named as Alabama native Vincent Chiarella.
He was found dead in his hotel room hours after reportedly feeling ill.
Vincent's wife Donnis, who is in her 60s, was rushed to hospital where she remains in critical condition.
The couple had been celebrating their anniversary at the luxury resort, their son Austin told ABC News.
Austin said she had woken up to find "she couldn't move" - and saw Vincent "laying on the floor".
"Her legs and arms was swollen and she couldn’t move and she screamed to get someone to come in the door,” Austin said.
Donnis is reportedly now at Kendall Regional facility in Florida.
Most read in The US Sun
Hotel staff came across Vincent's body shortly after 9am on Friday, cops said.
He was pronounced dead at the scene by a local doctor.
In the second villa, an unidentified man was found "slumped against a wall in a bathroom" while a woman was on the bed.
Both showed signs of vomiting, Royal Bahamas Police Force said in a statement.
Neither showed any signs of trauma.
An initial investigation by police found the couple had "complained of illness the previous evening" and visited a local medical centre to receive treatment before returning to the resort.
The three Americans died at the Exuma resort on May 6. A cause of death has not yet been revealed, and autopsy results are pending.
It comes as one hotelier, who is currently holidaying at the same Sandals hotel, claimed that the trio may have been exposed to toxic substances from a faulty air con unit.
New Mexico holidaymaker, Chris Coucheron-Aamot, wrote on Facebook: "There was crime scene tape and security guards all around our unit."
He suggested there may have been issues with some of the villas' air-con systems, which led to the deaths.
"It sounds like it may have been a fault with the air-con in the unit, causing a toxic coolant leak," he said in a post.
"It was hard to sleep last night - every time the air-con came on, I woke up.
"We’re continuing our vacation because that’s what I would want people to do if I were to have been one [of those] who died - celebrate my life by living yours to the fullest.
"That said, our hearts are with those who grieve. May God have mercy on them and us."
AIR CON THEORY
Most air-con units use a chemical called Freon as a coolant, a tasteless and odourless toxic gas which, if inhaled for a prolonged time, can be fatal.
It is not clear if Freon was used in the air-conditioning system at Sandals Emerald Bay resort in the Bahamas.
In a statement to DailyMail.com, a Sandals spokesperson said the resort was cooperating with police.
They did not respond to queries regarding a faulty air con unit.
"Nothing is more important to Sandals Resorts than the safety of our guests," the rep wrote in an emailed statement.
"A health emergency was initially reported and following our protocols we immediately alerted emergency medical professionals and relevant local authorities.
"We are actively working to support both the investigation as well as the guests’ families in every way possible during this difficult time.
"Out of respect for the privacy of our guests, we cannot disclose further information at this time."
The Sun US has also contacted Sandals for comment.
The company runs luxury all-inclusive resorts for couples in several locations in the Caribbean.
Rooms at the Bahamas resort can cost thousands for a multi-night stay.
Some rooms are two stories and offer butler services. Others have private patios and offer beach access.
The adults-only resort features 11 restaurants, three pools, and a golf course, among additional amenities.